The High Luminosity Large Hadron Collider – HL-LHC Project is a major upgrade of the LHC, in order to increase its capacities after 2025. The objective is to achieve 10 times more particle collisions than the current LHC.
The Works include the construction of a shaft (60 m deep and 10 m internal diameter), an underground cavern (50 m long and 18 m diameter), more than 500 m of tunnels connected in several points to the existing LHC tunnel (2 emergency escape connections, and several vertical cores for the new networks).
The project also includes five industrial buildings and their technical galleries.
- setec leader of the design JV
- Ground-structure interaction: Complete 3D Plaxis Geotechnical model for temporary support calculations, using innovative compressible concrete hiDCon
- FIDIC Construction Contract, BOQ structured as per CESMM 4
- Complete BIM delivery
- Time schedule constraints to accomodate LHC operation, and LHC sensitivity to vibrations (first excavation phase)
- High level of interfaces and management of changes
- Optimisation of the structures during the Works based on back-analysis
ORIGIN Joint-Venture (setec as leader, CSD Ingénieurs SA, and Rocksoil SpA), was awarded the full Civil Engineering Consultancy Services of the Project at Point 1, in Switzerland.
Concept Design to Construction Design, including preparation of the Tender package, and assistance to CERN for the procurement:
- Design of the 50m long cavern, excavated by NATM – excavated section of 270m², and its junction with the shaft, with an additional reinforced concrete ring at the interface, with rockbolts
- Design of surface works, including 5 industrial buildings with a total surface area of 6700m², and technical galleries
- Management of interfaces between civil engineering structures (buildings / shaft / cavern / tunnels) and methodology of works to account for vibration-sensitive installations in operation. Underground connections to the existing LHC tunnel.
- Ground-structure interaction: Complete Plaxis 3D Geotechnical numerical model for temporary support calculations, using innovative compressible concrete elements hiDCon
- Design of the final lining and complete reinforcement calculation, reinforcement drawings as well as all the internal structures of concrete / steel structures, (drawbridges, cranes, fasteners, shear connectors, etc.) as well as waterproofing + drainage system
- Complete BIM
- Complete back-analysis of the underground structures, and optimisation of the final lining during the execution of the Works
Full supervision of the Works, Engineer role under the FIDIC Contract (prepared based on the Red Book Edition 1999, with some specific underground related features)
Client: CERN – Organisation européenne pour la recherche nucléaire
Design & Works Project Management JV: setec (leader), CSD Ingénieurs SA, Rocksoil SpA
Partners setec: terrasol, setec ALS, diadès, LERM
Architects: Felix, Stämpfli (ASS), Jean-Luc Chapel (JLCA), Léo Dadolle (CSD)
Project fees: 70 000 000 €
Duration: Août 2016 – Déc. 2024