The tramway line T3 extension takes place, on the northern boulevards of Paris outskirt, from Porte de la Chapelle to Porte d’Asnières, a prosperous and diverse neighbourhood. This project is an opportunity for an urban renewal and new development of the crossed area.
The project tackles two major issues: the improvement of the urban mobility and the historic rehabilitation of the “Boulevards des Maréchaux” (Paris inner ring road).
- A reasonable architectural project, which combines quality and simplicity (example: using recycled granite and favouring a short distance supply chain)
- A rational urban project enhancing areas for non-polluting transportation,
- An optimal altimetry reducing demolition and refilling,
- A landscape design providing a great biodiversity and promoting local species found in the Ile-de-France region,
- A clean lighting design based on new technologies, respecting the environment and reducing the light pollution and energy consumption,
- Reducing the impact of the works on residents and businesses,
- Considering the future operational and maintenance needs,
- Preserving architectural and landscape heritage.
The project was the opportunity for the city of Paris to test a new type of contractual approach aiming to preserve as much road structure as possible to limit the environmental impact of the project. This approach was to incorporate a clause in the contract with a bonus malus system rewarding the conservation of the existing structure when possible. This led to the optimization of the road constructions (40% of effective conservation) and allowed the project to meet three main goals: reduction of cut and fill volumes, reduction/optimization of works durations, reduction of the global cost for the client.
setec tpi is the leader of the project management consortium (design and works) for the urban and landscape development. As such, it assures the following services:
- coordination and supervision of the interactions within the consortium
- full technical design of the project, while respecting functional constraints (design, insertion, levelling, drainage, sanitation) and incorporating lighting, signage (traffic light and signs) and landscape inputs
- managing the tender process: producing the documents related to the request for proposal and answering the questions of the bidders
- analysis of bidders’ proposals
- works supervision of sanitation and infrastructure works, as well as the construction of the main civil engineering structures
- scheduling, steering and coordination
- utility networks’ synthesis
- commissioning of the works
Client: City of Paris
Consortium leader: setec tpi
Partners: agence Reichen et Robert & Associés, setec is
Period: 2013 – 2019