In the Seine, upstream Paris, the river section between the locks of Coudray and Varennes was subject to an ambitious renewal framework project, divided in several phases.
The first phase consists of the renewal of the main locks, still operational but with numerous issues, for a closure duration of 5 weeks during the summer of 2013. The objective of these works was to ensure an optimal operation of these locks for 10 years, while the secondary locks are deepened (second phase) and these main locks are more significantly renewed (third phase).
The main activities undertaken during this first phase were:
- Re-establish the structures’ normal operation.
- Increase the structure’s lifespan.
- Improve the safety of the structure, its users, and employees.
- Ease the maintenance and upkeep of the facilities as well as the structures’ operations.
- Standardise the installations.
setec tpi has ensured between the 2012 and the 2017 the full design and construction management of the renewal project of the locks, including the following works:
- The renewal of the gates (camembert and busk) and of the aqueducts’ valves.
- The replacement of the locks’ operating devices
- Some civil engineering tasks like the change of bollards, ladders, and dockings
- The change of equipment such as electricity, lighting, noise, video-surveillance, and automatisms
Giving the significant fluvial traffic in this section of the Seine, a big effort in terms of communications and negotiations was made by VNF so that the total closure of only 5 weeks in the 4 locks.
The main challenge of this project was the completion of the works within this short closure. This became the main input data for the decision making in terms of construction methodology, logistics, etc.
Client: VNF (Voies Navigables de France)
Duration: 2012 – 2017