EPA Euratlantique has chosen the consortium constituted of Eiffage, Woodeum, 3F, Clairsienne and the architectural firm Jean-Paul Viguier & Associés, to build a CLT residential tower in solid wood, in the heart of Bordeaux, close to Gare Saint-Jean and the future high-speed train station.
The 57 m residential high tower is braced by a reinforced concrete core, and is composed of CLT floors, glued laminated timber perimeter beams, a wood-framed wall façade, and prefabricated, crane-laid metal balconies. The wood used for the entire project is a local softwood, Douglas fir, required by the client Eiffage Immobilier.
- 17 floors
- 98 dwellings
- Surface area 7,000 m² (7,000 sq.m)
- Height 57 m
Eiffage Construction has entrusted setec tpi with the execution studies (calculations and drawings) for the structure (concrete, steel, wood and foundations). setec tpi produced a BIM model using Revit for the concrete, and Tekla for the wood and steel structure, from which the manufacturing drawings were produced.
In addition, setec tpi is a member of ADIVbois and manages the structures workshop within the Technical Commission.
- Bio-sourced and recyclable, CLT’s solid wood construction material will enable this tower to play an active role in reducing carbon emissions and contribute to the fight against global warming.
- Thanks to the 1,400 m3 of solid wood (CLT, LVL and BLC) used, part of which will come from the Landes forest, the tower will store the equivalent of 1,000 tonnes of CO2, i.e. the equivalent of the carbon emissions generated on average by the energy consumption of such a building for more than 9 years.
- The use of wood enables to have a “clean” building site: prefabrication allows a faster building site, the use of wood enables a clean building site with fewer workers and with less nuisance for local residents.
- The use of CLT’s innovative solid wood technique will allow a significant time saving over the duration of the works, as well as a reduction by a factor of 6 to 8 in the number of truck rotations for the execution of the structural work.
Client: EIFFAGE CONSTRUCTION NORD AQUITAINE
Contracting authority: Eiffage Immobilier Sud Ouest
Project Management JV: Jean Paul Viguier, Terrell
Architect: Jean – Paul Viguier
Duration: May 2018 – Dec. 2019